The President of the Agency is assisted by the Transparency Council which plays a consultative and advisory role. The members of the Transparency Council are appointed by the Minister of Health for a six-year-term of office, and the Council is composed of representatives of:
- the Minister of Health (4);
- the President of the National Health Fund (2);
- the President of the Office for Registration of Medicinal Products, Medical Devices and Biocidal Products (2);
- the Patient Ombudsman (2)
as well as 10 experts with experience, recognised achievements and at least a doctorate in medicine or related sciences or in other fields relevant to the assessment of healthcare services, including ethics.
President of the Transparency Council
Adam Maciejczyk MD, PhD, DSc
Vice-President of the Transparency Council
Prof. Tomasz Pasierski, MD, PhD, DSc
Vice-President of the Transparency Council
Janusz Szyndler MD, PhD, DSc
The members of the Transparency Council:
- Prof. dr hab. n. med. Damian Czyżewski
- Dominik Gajewski
- Anna Gręziak
- Prof. dr hab. n. med. Tomasz Hryniewiecki
- Maciej Karaszewski
- Dr n. o zdrowiu Dorota Kilańska
- Marcin Kołakowski
- Marcin Lipowski
- Prof. dr hab. n. med. Bogusław Machaliński
- Tomasz Młynarski
- Dr hab. n. med. Jakub Pawlikowski
- Dr n. med. Tomasz Romańczyk
- Prof. dr hab. n. med. Rafał Suwiński
- Prof. dr hab. n. med. Anetta Undas
- Prof. dr hab. Monika Urbaniak
Before each meeting, a Team of ten members is selected from among the members of the Transparency Council by drawing lots, so that each entity (President of the National Health Fund, President of the Office for Registration of Medicinal Products, Medical Devices and Biocidal Products, Patient Ombudsman) is represented in the Team.
Participation in Transparency Council meetings
The meetings of the Transparency Council may be attended by experts in the field of medicine which is the subject of the motions or information discussed during that meeting and by other persons invited by the President of the Transparency Council, without the right to vote. More information is available on the website
Tasks of the Transparency Council
- Preparation and presentation of positions on the matter of:
- qualification of a given health care service as a guaranteed service together with the determination of the level or method of its financing (or a decision against qualifying such a service);
- reimbursement and the setting of an ex-factory price for a medicine, foodstuff for particular nutritional uses or medical device;
- removal of a particular healthcare service from the health benefits package;
- validity of granting authorisation for the reimbursement of medicines under the targeted import procedure;
- changes in the level or method of financing health care services;
- changes in health technologies.
- Issuing opinions:
- on projects of health policy programmes submitted by the ministers or local self-government units;
- on recommended health technologies, actions carried out in the framework of health policy programmes and the conditions for implementing those programmes concerning a particular disease or a particular health problem;
- on qualification for a joint limit group or the creation of a separate limit group;
- related to the revocation of the decision to reimburse a medicine, foodstuff for particular nutritional uses or medical device;
- on the reimbursement of a medicine in respect of indications for the use or posology or route of administration other than those specified in the Summary of Product Characteristics.
- The performance of other tasks commissioned by the President of the Agency.
- Developing recommendations for applicants (which indicate desirable elements to be included in their future applications; recommendations included in the development and implementation of health policy programmes guidelines).
- Identifying the need to carry out an analysis of technologies of a major health significance which have not yet been proposed for assessment.
- Ensuring transparency in the presentation of the basic arguments in support of the Council’s position or opinion.
To learn more about the detailed mode of operation of the Transparency Council, its terms and conditions, tasks and minutes of the Transparency Council meetings, visit the following website Public Information Bulletin.
*Ladies and Gentlemen
We inform you that the materials and results of the discussions posted on the Agency’s website are the result of the conceptual work and analytical process carried out by the team of the Agency for Health Technology Assessment and Tariff System based on the EBM paradigm, including: search, selection, synthesis and interpretation of scientific evidence, or the data analysis carried out .
In connection with the above, we would like to inform you that the use of analytical material or the results of the discussion, in accordance with good practice, should be accompanied by information on the source in the form: [title of presentation / report], AOTMiT, Warsaw, June 2021]